In this term, I and my group members who are Aylin Aşır and Şeyma Akcan tried to construct two type of beam that reinforced and unreinforced to load testing. Firstly, we decided to arch-shaped because it is more straight to tension-compression. Then we thought on the materials of pattern, how we can shape easily. After that, we decided to use acetate sheet. We prepared two patterns for each concept model. Dimensions of the pattern are 2*7*55. We made the length of the model as 55cm. The real dimension between the supports is 50cm.
Each 1kg of plasterboard, we put 0,6kg water. Then we mixed them and put into the pattern. We did this operation fastly because of plasterboard freeze fastly. After the putting the plasterboard operation, we waited for the frozen of the model. Then, we took out the models from the patterns. For the unreinforced model we used only plasterboard and water, for the reinforced model, we added also copper rebars. Unreinforced beam carried a 4.5kg load and reinforced beam carried more than 1kg than the unreinforced one. The reason behind that rebars made straight the beam to carry more load. So we discussed the load test:
For Unreinforced Beam
- When we accept the bending capacity, the beam can not carry its own weight but based on load test, unreinforced beam carried 4.5kg. It shows that in calculation tension strength of plasterboard’s value(1MPa) should be more than 1.
- The other reasons behind that may be because of geometry. Since our beam is arch-shaped, the beam is the strength. So it can carry 4.5kg.
- Another reason is plasterboard may not be mixture homogeneous.
For Reinforced Beam
Bending capacity is minus value, the beam can not carry its own weight but based on the load test. But reinforced beam carried 6kg.
- It shows that in calculation yield strength of annealed copper value should be more than 33.
- The other reasons behind that may be because of geometry. Since our beam is arch-shaped, the beam is a strength. So it can carry 6 kg.
3.Another reason is plasterboard may not be mixture homogeneous.